It was the turn of the Disney panel at CinemaCon 2022, whose most relevant news given revolves around the franchise Avatar from James Cameron (via official count):
- official title confirmed: Avatar: The Way of Water.
- The world premiere of the first video preview. The material was shown exclusively to those present.
- The teaser trailer will be shown in the feature shorts of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. A week later, it will be published online.
- Avatar (2009) will be re-released in theaters with a remastered version, to prepare the audience for the premiere of the sequel. And also – this is what we say – to once again be crowned the highest-grossing film of all time at the domestic box office. Remember that in previous weeks, Spider-Man: No Way Home beat Avatar at the US box office. In the global box office, Avatar continues to be the highest grossing of all time.
- The remastering is both of image and sound.
- The re-release is set for September 23, 2022 in theaters worldwide.
- Avatar: The Way of Water will be released in theaters on December 16, 2022.
The news of the revival with a remastered version was confirmed by producer Jon Landau, while Cameron added that the visual effects will be more realistic in the remaster. The filmmaker also says that he is willing to once again push the limits of what cinema can do, in this group of new sequels to Avatar which is preparing.
In Avatar (2009):
“When his brother is killed in a robbery, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place on a mission to the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge’s intentions to expel the native humanoid “Na’vi” in order to extract the precious material scattered throughout his rich forest.
In exchange for spinal surgery that will repair his legs, Jake gathers knowledge about the indigenous race and their culture for the collaborating military unit led by the enthusiastic Colonel Quaritch, while also attempting to infiltrate the Na’vi people with the use of an “avatar” identity.
As Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel pushes forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand and fight an epic battle for Pandora’s fate. .”
Cameron’s film pioneered 3D movie viewing technology, setting the record as the highest-grossing film of all time. A relaunch could increase the gross total of Avatarwhich briefly lost the top spot to Avengers: Endgame before taking it back in March 2021.
Avatar: The Way of Water sets its plot more than a decade after the events of the original film, and tells the story of Sully, Neytiri, and their family, and how they have kept themselves safe, as well as their problems and tragedies, and how they deal with them .
Cameron directs it, and produces it with Landau.
Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Edie Falco, Jemaine Clement, Giovanni Ribisi y Kate Winslet, make up the cast.