Since last December 23, 2022, Netflix premiered on its platform worldwide, the ‘whodunit’ Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mysterysequel to Knives Outfrom the writer and director Rian Johnsonwhich introduces the audience to a new mystery in the form of a huge party thrown by a tech billionaire, who invites his closest “disruptor” friends for an island getaway before things inevitably turn chaotic, forcing the detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) into action.
Although it was initially thought that this sequel could delve into Benoit Blanc’s origin story, writer-director Johnson scrapped the plan for a prequel, offering instead glimpses into his intimate life, as we can see with the character played by Hugh Grantwhom we see in a cameo, give life to detective Blanc’s sentimental partner.
In an interview with Collider, Grant confirms that his character is married to Blanc:
“It’s true, I’m married to James Bond. It’s the smallest moment. I don’t really know why they wanted to do it, but anyway, I thought ‘Knives Out 1’ was brilliant, so yeah, I thought why not? I show up for a few hours…”
Knives OutJohnson’s ‘whodunit’ thriller, became a spectacular critical and box office hit, upon its theatrical release in November 2019 (it became the second highest-grossing original film of 2019), launching not one, otherwise two sequels with home on Netflixboth focused on the character of Craig, without contemplating the return of other members of the wonderful cast of the original film.
Johnson is the director, writer and producer of the original film, and repeats the same tasks in the following films.
ABOUT GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY
In the sequel, the forested, dark and cold settings of the predecessor film are left behind, to move to a tropical paradise in Greece where he must unravel new mysteries with a group of suspects played by some of the most important actors in the mecca of cinema.
“Detective Benoit Blanc travels to Greece to peel away the layers of a mystery involving a new cast of colorful suspects.”
“’GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY’ follows a tech billionaire (Edward Norton) who invites his nearest and dearest on a getaway to his private Greek island, only to find someone else turns up dead.”
- Edward Norton (Fight Club) as Miles Bron, a tech billionaire.
- Leslie Odom Jr. (One Night in Miami) as Lionel Toussaint, a scientist who works for Edward Norton’s character.
- Kathryn Hahn (WandaVision, I Know This Much is True) as Claire Debella, a Connecticut governor running for the Senate.
- Kate Hudson (Truth Be Told) as fashionista Birdie Jay.
- Jessica Henwick (The Matrix Resurrections) as Birdie’s assistant.
- dave bautista (Army of the Dead) is YouTuber Duke Cody.
- Janelle Monáe (Antebellum, Hidden Figures) as Cassandra ‘Andi’ Brand, a tech entrepreneur.
- Ethan Hawke(The Black Phone, Sinister) has a cameo in the film, in a role of unknown moment.