New day, new record for Barbie of the co-writer and director Greta Gerwigthe protagonist and producer Margot Robbie,
In its third week in theaters, Barbie by Greta Gerwig reached $537.4 million in the domestic box office, becoming the highest grossing film of Warner Bros. (domestic bond) in the 100 years of the studysurpassing the previous number one, The Dark Knight by Christopher Nolan, which amassed $534.9 million in 2008.
- Barbie it is one of only 20 films to have surpassed $500 million in the domestic box office.
The global box office Barbie It is already close to $1,200 million dollars.
- is the WB’s second highest-grossing film of all timebehind of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part Twowhich accumulated $1,340 million dollars.
Other records previously achieved by Barbie include:
- The highest-grossing film for a female director in the domestic box office, surpassing Frozen II ($477.4 million) which was co-directed by Jennifer Lee.
- Highest-grossing film for a female director at the global box office.
- The highest grossing film from Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.
- Greta Gerwig is the only solo director to gross more than $1 billion.
- Second production of 2023 to exceed one billion dollars in box office and the sixth in times of pandemic.
Gerwig previously directed the critically acclaimed Lady Bird (2017), with which she made her directorial debut and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Direction and Best Original Screenplay, and Little Women (2019), for which she was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Barbie was co-written by Gerwig and his partner, Noah Baumbach (Marriage Story, The Meyerowitz Stories, Greenberg). Robbie stars in and produces the feature film.
Robbie and Ryan Gosling star in the film as stereotypical versions of Barbie and Ken, who leave Dreamhouse and Barbie Land behind on a quest for self-discovery in the real world.
Previously, Robbie described the project as:
“Barbie will be what you didn’t know you wanted.”
And she wasn’t wrong.
We’ll go on to mention that in addition to being a great movie, WB has run a phenomenal MKT campaign for Barbie; One of the best we’ve seen in recent times for film productions. Barbie it went from being a project that many did less when it was announced that a live-action of the iconic Mattel figure would be made, to being the most anticipated film of the summer of this year, to causing total madness among the audience in every corner of the world. world, and to become the global phenomenon of the year, and a commercial and critical success.