New record for Barbie!
With five completed weekends in theaters, Barbie of the co-writer and director Greta Gerwigthe protagonist and producer Margot Robbieand the study Warner Bros. added another $21 million dollars, accumulating a current domestic total of $575.4 million dollars.
The above means that Barbie exceeded the domestic total of The Super Mario Bros Movie ($574.2 million dollars) and is crowned as the highest grossing film of 2023 in the domestic box office.
A Super Mario Bros Movie it took 138 days to reach $574.2 million; to Top Gun: Maverick it took him 40 days to do it. A Barbie it took him 34 days. Another curious fact Barbie it also surpassed $500 million in less time than the other two mentioned: Barbie did it in 22 days, Top Gun 2 did it in 30 days, and Super Mario in 31 days.
The last time the WB dominated the box office with the highest grossing film of the year was in 2011 with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II. The studio will have releases of Wonka y Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.
The global box office Barbie It is already close to $1.3 billion dollars..
WB celebrated the most recent record as follows on their lot in Burbank, California:
Other records previously achieved by Barbie include:
- Es Warner Bros. highest-grossing film in the domestic box officesurpassing the previous record set by Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight ($534.9 million).
- Barbie it is one of only 20 films to have surpassed $500 million in the domestic box office.
- is the WB’s second highest-grossing film of all timebehind of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part Twowhich accumulated $1,340 million dollars.
- The movie highest grossing for a female director in the domestic box officesurpassing the Frozen II ($477.4 million) which was co-directed by Jennifer Lee.
- The highest-grossing film for a female director at the global box office.
- The highest grossing film from Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.
- Greta Gerwig is the only solo director to gross more than $1 billion.
- Second production of 2023 to exceed one billion dollars in box office and the sixth in times of pandemic.
Gerwig previously directed the critically acclaimed Lady Bird (2017), with which she made her directorial debut and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Direction and Best Original Screenplay, and Little Women (2019), for which she was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Barbie was co-written by Gerwig and his partner, Noah Baumbach (Marriage Story, The Meyerowitz Stories, Greenberg). Robbie stars in and produces the feature film.
Robbie and Ryan Gosling star in the film as stereotypical versions of Barbie and Ken, who leave Dreamhouse and Barbie Land behind on a quest for self-discovery in the real world.
Barbie suffers a crisis that leads her to question her world and her existence.
Previously, Robbie described the project as:
“Barbie will be what you didn’t know you wanted.”
And she wasn’t wrong.
We’ll go on to mention that in addition to being a great movie, WB has run a phenomenal MKT campaign for Barbie; One of the best we’ve seen in recent times for film productions. Barbie it went from being a project that many did less when it was announced that a live-action of the iconic figure of Mattel would be made, to being the most anticipated film of the summer of this year, to causing total madness among the audience in every corner of the world. world, and to become the global phenomenon of the year, and a commercial and critical success.