A few moments after information about the premiere of The Last of Us, HBO officially announced that the series by Craig Mazin, will be premiering on January 15, 2023 on HBO Max.
- The first season consists of 9 episodes. The premiere time will be at 9 pm (ET/PT).
The announcement is accompanied by a large official poster with the confirmed date, which is found at the end of the note.
The small-screen adaptation of the popular zombie-themed video game also features Neil Druckmanwriter of the original game, as executive producer.
Peter Pascal (The Mandalorian) y Bella Ramsey (Game of Thrones), star in the series as Joel and Ellie, respectively,
The videogame The Last of Uscarries his story to a post-apocalyptic setting, 20 years after a pandemic radically changed civilizationinfected humans run wild and the survivors kill each other for food, weapons or whatever:
“Focusing on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenage girl who may hold the key to a cure for the deadly pandemic. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the 14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts out as a small job soon turns into a brutal and harrowing journey as they traverse the United States and depend on each other for survival.”
The rest of the cast is made up of:
- Storm Reid (Euphoria, A Wrinkle in Time) guest starring as Riley Abel, an orphan girl growing up in post-apocalyptic Boston.
- Gabriel Luna(Terminator: Dark Fate) as Tommy, Joel’s brother.
- Nick Offerman (Devs, ) como Bill.
- Anna Torv (Fringe, Mindhunter)
- Jeffrey Pierce (Castle Rock, Bosch)
- Murray Bartlett (The White Lotus)
- Con O’Neill (Chernobyl)
- Nico Parker () as Sarah, Joel’s daughter.
- Merle Dandridgewho lent her voice to Marlene in the video games, reprises her role in the series.
- Troy Baker y Ashley Johnsonthe iconic voices behind Joel and Ellie, have just been announced to play different roles in the series.
The HBO series covers the events of the original game written by Druckmannwith the possibility of additional content based on the game’s sequel, The Last of Us Part IIwhich was released on May 29, 2020. Previously, Druckmann explained the process of adapting the material to the small screen, the similarities and the deviations from it.
Kantemir Balagov (Beanpole) directs the pilot episode, with Jasmila Žbanić (Where are you going, Aid?a) and Ali Abbasi (Border) directing other episodes.
Carolynn Strauss is another of the executive producers along with Evan Wells, president of developer Naughty Dog. The HBO show is a co-production of Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions.