With filming just completed in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, HBO shares the first image look at the small screen adaptation of the zombie-themed video game, The Last of Us in charge of Craig Mazinfrom the Summer Games Fest event.
The image, in which we see the protagonists Pedro Pascal (The Mandalorian) y Bella Ramsey (Game of Thrones), characterized as Joel and Ellie, respectively, find it here (via HBO):
The rest of the cast is made up of:
- Storm Reid (Euphoria, A Wrinkle in Time) guest starring as Riley Abel, an orphan girl growing up in post-apocalyptic Boston.
- Gabriel Luna(Terminator: Dark Fate) as Tommy, Joel’s brother
- Nico Parker as Sarah, Joel’s daughter
- Anna Torv (Fringe, Mindhunter)
- Jeffrey Pierce (Castle Rock, Bosch)
- Murray Bartlett (The White Lotus)
- Con O’Neill (Chernobyl)
- Nick Offerman(Devs)
- Merle Dandridgewho lent her voice to Marlene in the video games, reprises her role in the series.
- Troy Baker y Ashley Johnson, the iconic voices behind Joel and Ellie, have just been announced to play different roles in the series (via HBO).
The videogame The Last of Uscarries his story to a post-apocalyptic setting, 20 years after a pandemic radically changed civilizationinfected humans run wild and the survivors kill each other for food, weapons or whatever:
“Focusing on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenage girl who may hold the key to a cure for the deadly pandemic. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the 14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts out as a small job soon turns into a brutal and harrowing journey as they traverse the United States and depend on each other for survival.”
The HBO series covers the events of the original game written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the game’s sequel, The Last of Us Part IIwhich was released on May 29, 2020. Previously, Druckmann explained the process of adapting the material to the small screen, the similarities and the deviations from it.
Carolynn Strauss is another of the executive producers along with Evan Wells, president of developer Naughty Dog. The HBO show is a co-production of Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions.
- Filming began in July 2021, and ended in June 2022.
- The shoot is the largest in Canadian history, and depending on its success, it could surpass the most profitable production in the country’s history: Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010), which grossed over $300 million at the global box office.
- The HBO project was confirmed in March 2020. The Russian-born filmmaker, Kantemir Balagov (Beanpole) He’s in charge of direct the pilot episodewhile Neil Druckmanwriter and creative director of the game, is on board as co-writer and executive producer, alongside showrunner Mazin.
- Jasmila Žbanić (Where are you going, Aida) y Ali Abbasi (Border) also direct episodes.
- The Last of Us will mark the first PlayStation Productions television series.
- Sony and Naughty Dog debutedThe Last of Us in 2013. Its release was met with critical acclaim, winning “game of the year” awards, selling over 17 million copies worldwide, both in its original version for PlayStation 3 and the remastered version for PlayStation 4.