With six weeks completed in theaters around the world, Oppenheimer of Christopher Nolanand the study Universal Pictures add a new achievement to their long list: becoming the second highest-grossing R-rated film of all time at world box office.
Oppenheimer currently accumulates a global total of $789 million dollars, surpassing Deadpool 2 and its $786 millionand only remains behind the number one movie, Joker ($1,074 MDD). The domestic total for Nolan’s film is $303 million, and another $485 million internationally.
The R-Rated of Oppenheimer was awarded by the Motion Picture Association (MPA; Motion Picture Association). It is the first Nolan film to have this rating in the United States since Insomnia (2022).
The 10 highest-grossing R-Rated movies of all time at the global box office:
- Joker: $1,074 MDD
- Oppenheimer: $789 MDD
- Deadpool 2: $786 MDD
- Deadpool: $783 MDD
- The Matrix Reloadead $742 MDD
- IT: $702 MDD
- Detective Chinatown 3: $686 MDD
- Logan: $619 MDD
- The Passion of the Christ: $612 MDD
- The Hangover: Part II: $587 MDD
The tape is a Period piece about World War II scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer, considered one of the fathers of the atomic bomb, played in the film by Cillian Murphy.
Oppenheimer was a theoretical physicist who became the director of the Los Alamos Laboratory, led the research and development of the bomb that ended World War II, under what was covertly called the Manhattan Project. He also oversaw the Trinity Test, in which the first atomic bomb was successfully detonated in New Mexico.
Oppenheimer is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book “American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer”, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. The script was adapted by Nolan. The filmmaker is producing the film with his wife and producing partner Emma Thomas for their company Syncopy Inc.
The rest of the cast is made up of Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., Florence Pugh, Benny Safdie, Michael Angarano, Josh Hartnett, Jack Quaid, Rami Malek, Kenneth Branagh, Dane DeHaan, Dylan Arnold, David Krumholtz, Alden Ehrenreich, y Matthew Modine.
Nolan’s cinematographer and frequent collaborator, Hoyte van Hoytemashot the film in format IMAX.
- Oppenheimer marks the first collaboration between Nolan and the studio Universal Pictures, that in September 2021 arrived to an agreement with the filmmaker to finance and distribute the feature filmafter Nolan left the ranks of Warner Bros. after making public his discontent with the release of Tenetand the studio’s strategy of implementing the simultaneous release in theaters and on HBO Max.
- Murphy has collaborated with Nolan on several occasions, placing himself under the director’s orders in Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, and more recently, Dunkirk.
- The twelfth feature film will be the longest running film in Nolan’s filmography, reaching 3 hours. This will exceed 2 hours and 49 minutes of Interstellar.
- The feature film was shot on a combination of 65mm and 65mm IMAX wide-format film photography including, for the first time, sections in IMAX black-and-white analogue photography.
- He Film negative in its IMAX format is almost 18 km long and 272 kg in weight.