We are one week away from the long-awaited premiere of one of the high-profile productions that will be adorning the theaters of the summer season: Oppenheimer of Christopher Nolanand the study Universal Pictures.
the movie is a Period piece about World War II scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer, considered one of the fathers of the atomic bomb, played in the film by Cillian Murphy.
And as has been mentioned on other occasions, a story as shocking as this one deserves the highest quality projection. That is why Nolan, along with his frequent collaborator, the cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytemathey filmed the film in format IMAX.
- The feature film was shot on a combination of 65mm and 65mm IMAX wide-format film photography including, for the first time, sections in IMAX black-and-white analogue photography.
- He Film negative in its IMAX format is almost 18 km long and 272 kg in weight.
Universal Pictures shared a new video look at the IMAX negative during what marked its first UK theatrical screening at the UK premiere earlier this week:
11 mile, 600 pound OPPENHEIMER IMAX print finishes its first-ever run at the UK premiere tonight in London. pic.twitter.com/C9YCtDfwMJ
— Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) July 14, 2023
Oppenheimer was a theoretical physicist who became the director of the Los Alamos Laboratory, led the research and development of the bomb that ended World War II, under what was covertly called the Manhattan Project. He also oversaw the Trinity Test, in which the first atomic bomb was successfully detonated in New Mexico.
Oppenheimer is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book “American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer”, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. The script was adapted by Nolan. The filmmaker is producing the film with his wife and producing partner Emma Thomas for their company Syncopy Inc.
In addition to Murphy, the make up Emily Bluntwho plays biologist, botanist, and Oppenheimer’s wife, Matt Damon as General Leslie Groves Jr., director of the Manhattan Project, Robert Downey Jr. such as Lewis Strauss, founding commissioner of the US Atomic Energy Commission, Florence Pugh characterizing the psychiatrist Jean Tatlock, Benny Safdie plays theoretical physicist Edward Teller, Michael Angarano It’s Robert Serber. Josh Hartnett is pioneering American nuclear scientist Ernest Lawrence; Jack Quaid, Rami Malek, Kenneth Branagh, Dane DeHaan, Dylan Arnold, David Krumholtz, Alden Ehrenreich, y Matthew Modine they round out the cast.
- Oppenheimer marks the first collaboration between Nolan and the studio Universal Pictures, that in September 2021 arrived to an agreement with the filmmaker to finance and distribute the feature filmafter Nolan left the ranks of Warner Bros. after making public his discontent with the release of Tenetand the studio’s strategy of implementing the simultaneous release in theaters and on HBO Max.
- Murphy has collaborated with Nolan on several occasions, placing himself under the director’s orders in Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, and more recently, Dunkirk.
- Oppenheimer got the R-Rated by the Motion Picture Association (MPA), making it Nolan’s first film to have this rating in the United States, since Insomnia (2022).
- The twelfth feature film will be the longest running film in Nolan’s filmography, reaching 3 hours. This will exceed 2 hours and 49 minutes of Interstellar.
Oppenheimer will be released in theaters on July 21, 2023where he will face the premiere of the also highly anticipated Barbie of Greta Gerwig.